But not in a bad way... Are there ever little situations you observe whilst out in public, or people you observe whilst out in public that just absolutely squeeze your heart with feeling? This happens to me often, and I'll admit, I get choked up frequently because of them.
I went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter (loved it, however no movie will ever again matter enough to me to do that again). At about 11:49, a father walked in with his son who was (ready your visual imagery)
7 or maybe 8
very small
very shy looking
wearing Harry Potter glasses, complete with tape in the middle holding them together
wearing a maroon wizard dress robe
Do you have this sweet little boy pictured? His hair was even dark and messed appropriately. *Ahhh* I'm already tearing up just describing him. Ok. The theatre was so full, and they got there so late that there weren't 2 seats together. The little boy looked so sad, and the dad looked visably distressed. A very nice and not creepy guy in front of me said he had an open seat next to him, he would take him and watch out for him during the movie. The dad then said "no, I really want to sit next to him". Oh my gosh! I think I shedd tears at this point, my heart is constricting. I'm sure the evening went something like this for them (after being planned for weeks and weeks):
"Dad, I love Harry Potter so much, I even look like him! Could I please go to the midnight showing?"
"Oh son, I just love the guts out of you and I would love to make this memory for you. I will stay up until 3:30am just to take my sweet boy to see Harry Potter. Let's take a nap so you're not too tired, and then wake up at 11 and then we'll get there just in time"
"Cool Dad! I'll put my HP glasses and robe right next to my bed so that they're ready right when it's time to go"
Ok, do you see yet why I almost can't control myself right now? It was so sad to me to see them not being able to find 2 seats together. I was becoming visably distressed. But then some savior told 43 people to scoot down and they got 2 seats together. Then the dad ruffled his sons hair, patted his shoulders and off they sat. The hair ruffle was the clincher for me. You could see the amount of love this guy had for his little man, and I am so verklempt right now just recalling it!
On my bday I went to eat at Chipotle. So I was eating and talking on the phone to Heidi (I was on the phone, it was ok to be by myself eating), and then I saw this guy:
Mid-50's
Chubby belly
Tapered (in the 80's way) jeans and black hospital shoes
Train engineers cap (not like the light blue and white striped one, but a cap that you would see and think oh yes, that is a train engineers cap...)
Shirt with a picture of a locomotive engine (the one the pushes & pulls all the cars people, I don't know the specifics)
A general nerdy air about him
He was alone
I feel bad in general for people that eat alone, and each time I see it I send lots of wishes and good thoughts their way that they are eating alone merely because they are on their lunch break or are meeting someone after they eat. I enjoy it, but I usually bring a book to look engrossed in and flash my wedding ring around so people will see I'm not alone in life. This particular person though, looked like he was alone. He had his food on the tray, filled his drink, got a fork and two napkins. Then he went and sat down and systematically took his things off the tray and placed them on the table. This whole time he had a smile on his face, just like you would expect of a jaunty train engineer, but I saw through it. I have in the past, and again this time, almost walked over and sat down with him so that he would have a friend. I so hope that this train engineer had a friend.
Am I the only one who is so absolutely affected by not necessarily sad, but emotion-invoking scenarios?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
No you're not and I do that too. This is why after eavesdropping on the missionaries behind me in the subway line about how they could only get one sandwich and split it, I bought it for them. And then immediately left so I could not be talked to. I notice them more now that I'm alone too.
Post a Comment